- Digital X-ray:a new imaging method used in dentisry. A small sensor unit sends pictures to a computer to be recorded and saved.
Advantages of digital radiography:
- immediate viewing of images: This is highly desirable during most procedures but especially during implant procedures, endodontic root canal therapy and post placement,
- crown and bridge restoration seating, and patient education.
- enhancement of images
- retake of images
- data storage
- patient education
- decreased radiation
- elimination of chemicals and dark rooms
- Panoramic X-rays show a broad view of the jaws, teeth, sinuses, nasal area, and temporomandibular (jaw) joints. These X-rays do not find cavities but do show problems such as impacted teeth, bone abnormalities, cysts, solid growths (tumors), infections, and fractures.
- Periapical X-rays show the entire tooth, from the exposed crown to the end of the root and the bones that support the tooth. These X-rays are used to find dental problems below the gum line or in the jaw, such as impacted teeth, abscesses, cysts, tumors, and bone changes linked to some diseases.